The following report is taken from the Kennick Fly fishers website and refers to a meeting that took place in the Autumn of 2011. All the items are of some interest to us but items 5 & 6 mention Burrator quite specifically and help to clarify the changes alluded to in the SWLT Booklet here.
SW LAKES TRUST - GAME FISHERIES CONSULTATION MEETING
Following a meeting back in November there was a Game Fisheries Consultation Meeting held with many SW fishermen to understand the future of Fishing in the SW and voice opinion / concern. These were the main points discussed with changes below. As agreed, Chris Hall and I have drafted a proposal for our game angling venues - it is attached for your information. The key changes to how we will operate include:
- More flexible season dates - including part-seasons and the opportunity to fish for Rainbows during the winter months (no stocking will take place between November and February).
- A big reduction in price and far greater promotion of the 'All Waters' ticket - giving better access for everyone.
- A 33% discount off boat hire for 'All Waters' ticket holders.
- An online booking facility will be available from March 2012 to give anglers the option to purchase permits and boat hire via the website.
- Changing of names to 'Rainbow Plus' (former Premiers) and 'Rainbow' (former intermediates and Burrator).
- Burrator will be upgraded to the same level as Stithians and Wistlandpound and stocked accordingly.
- 'Rainbow Plus' season tickets will only allow you to fish one venue (additional venues can be added).
- Brown trout season tickets will allow you to fish all three venues - at a reduced rate from the 2011 'Castabout' price.
- Fishing boats will be relocated to best accommodate anglers' demands and it is proposed that the fleet will increase in 2013 and 2014.
- Higher standards of boat preparation and cleanliness will be a key area of improvement.
- Stocking - increase the minimum fish weights and provide better clarity on numbers stocked per venue.
- Better and more extensive staff training - including Level 1 coach awards.
- Promote the recruitment of 'Volunteer Angling Officers' to assist the Trust's work and supervise other volunteers on the ground.
- Develop a 'Regional Advisory Group' to help steer still water game angling in the SW.
- Improve methods of communication at all levels.
any questions or comments. Best regards and may I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Head of Operations
South West Lakes Trust
South West Lakes Trust
Pennygillam Industrial Estate
Cornwall PL15 7PF
Tel 01566 771930
Fax 01566 778503
Visit our website http://www.swlakestrust.org.uk
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Clearly changes are on the way for the fishing at Burrator. It would be good if we could become a bit more involved in these discussions. Please note, in particular, the mention in Items 14 & 15 of a Regional Advisory Group and the intention to improve communication at all levels. The Burrator Fly Fishers would like to be involved in both these areas.